This exempt position reports to the VP of Engineering
The Electrical Design Engineer helps support the Engineering Team and Williams AV to maintain a leadership role in the industry with defined project work that applies new, reliable technology in product designs. In addition to owning hardware tasks (and potentially some software tasks) with direction, the person in this position will collaborate with the design teams they are a part of, and provide supporting data/testing/research to help overcome challenges. The Electrical Design Engineer will grow and learn, striving to make larger design decisions independently.
- Support and implement hardware chosen by the team or senior level engineers aligning with product definition needs, as well as assist in the integration, prototyping, debugging, and support throughout each product’s lifecycle.
- Create and modify schematics and circuit boards using the latest revision and practices in Altium design software.
- Modify and/or build small quantity circuit assemblies as needed using standard soldering techniques and lab tools.
- Create and modify documentation using the standard procedures for procurement, manufacture, and support of Williams AV products using file storage, naming, etc. that aligns with department standards.
- Research and implement analog/digital interfaces; including communication buses, digital/analog audio processing, feedback/closed loop systems, etc. in low noise circuits using EMC/EMI design best practices.
- Work with crude ‘proof of concept’ circuits, and identify/implement creative solutions for issues found.
- Design circuits to support interfaces including, for example: ADC, DAC, PWM, clock/timer signals, and other hardware/software interaction peripherals.
- Work with engineering documentation and equipment to ensure robust hardware and software solutions.
- Demonstrate the ability to adapt and adjust product design paths to changing market needs and internal feedback.
- Design circuits that are able to secure all necessary regulatory product approvals in a timely manner.
- Support/oversee regulatory testing onsite and offsite as needed for design projects.
- Provide technical assistance to other departments of the company as requested.
- Adhere to project schedules; deliver prompt communication of status, anticipated delays, and obstacles.
- Maintain good relationships with sales, manufacturing, as well as other departments to identify design issues and execute solutions that minimize production delays.
- Search out and develop essential technology and system concepts for use in new product designs.
- Maintain and continually expand core knowledge through education events on new technologies, parts, tools, or other hardware/software opportunities that help Williams AV maintain leadership in our markets.
- Comply with all governmental laws and regulations.
- Perform additional tasks as may be assigned by the VP of Engineering.
- S. in Engineering plus 5 years analog/digital hardware design (or 10 years analog/digital hardware design experience)
- Solid history of hardware circuit design using good engineering practice techniques for mixed signal solutions and processor based systems.
- Experience incorporating EMC/EMI design best practices into sensitive circuits (i.e. – routing circuitry near sensitive RF sections to maximize RF performance) and integration with mechanical components
- Interest and desire to become proficient with design/test programs such as LTSpice, SpectraPLUS, Audio Weaver, etc.
- Interest and desire to characterize circuits and systems for audio performance metrics (THD, SNR, Frequency response, etc.)
- Quality conscious with a willingness and ambition to follow through
- Must be able to adapt to the ever changing design circumstances
- Experience designing and troubleshooting complex serial and parallel communication buses such as SPI, UART, I2C, I2S, RS232/485, 4-bit/8-bit parallel, PCIe, as well as embedded support for network/wireless peripherals (i.e. – Ethernet, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, etc.)
- Working knowledge of commercial sound equipment
- Skilled in audio circuit design with protection/transport/filtering in low latency architectures
- Experience using revision control systems
- Experience developing products under a product lifecycle management system
The Electrical Design Engineer position works 70-80% of the time on a computer. Specific duties and equipment requirements of the position are: use of the engineering lab and all associated equipment necessary for hardware and software development, testing, and functional validation. Typical equipment used for this position includes a computer, oscilloscope, logic or protocol emulator/analyzer, power supply, multi-meter, waveform generator, specialized gear for audio/RF analysis, etc. This position requires good communication and visual skills, and requires occasional carrying and lifting up to 40lbs. This position, can include engineering lab and production floor hazards, and may be exposed to temperature extremes. These physical requirements must be performed with or without accommodations.
Williams AV is a manufacturer of wireless and hearing assistance technology that improves communication among a variety of applications and industries. Serving professional audio-visual needs worldwide since 1976, Williams AV offers digital, FM, infrared, and induction loop wireless audio and video-based annotation and translation systems. Our products are used in various commercial applications, including personal hearing assistance, language interpretation, tour guides, corporate, education, government, judicial, sporting and entertainment venues, and houses of worship. The Company sells product worldwide goes to market through a global network of manufacturers, distributors, and systems integrators.
Williams AV (WAV), a privately held company with ~58 employees, operates based in Eden Prairie headquarters. WAV operates one factory and a global distribution center. The WAV factory focuses on the end-item assembly of complex electronic audio and video products and configures products into solution kits. The business has several critical regional PCBA partners who are integral to the local operations. Additionally, the Company utilizes several International subcontractors for proprietary-owned high-volume products and sources commodity components such as headphones. The Company has a deep engineering bench that is continually developing new products. Sales, marketing, customer support, finance, and other leadership functions are all based on Eden Prairie.
- Company match 401K
- Paid Time Off
- Company paid life insurance and disability
- Company Holidays
- Tuition Reimbursement
Please send resumes and applications to email@example.com